Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default sweet butter lettuce

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:43:31 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

hey Jan,

thanks. didn't know it would grow that quick. i will go ahead and see
if
the local stores have seed for it. and yes, plenty of heat. yesterday's
temp
was 96 here at the house. it's 90 now. I've never saw anything but the
standard iceburg lettuce grown locally and they plant that earlier in
the
year. but i'll see how it does.
thanks for the input!

rae

Hey Rae, (kinda like the rhyme thing)

Jan is right. This year i noticed in the Seeds of Change catalog they
are showing light requirements for different veggies and lettuce showed
partial sun.

I experimented and planted some letuces in full sun and some in an area
that receives only about four hours of direct sun during midday and
darned if the mostly shaded lettuce wasn't better tasting, and like she
said, hasn't bolted. Like she did, I planted some in pots, old
fashioned varieties, and it has done great and looks great, with the
different colors and leaf configurations. A couple years ago we
started "landscaping" with vegetables. It is amazing how they work in
with the flowers and other areas.

Gardening is one grand experiment. Seeds are cheap, even cheaper when
you save seed. One year things may work, another not.

Have Fun
Charlie

hey charlie,

thanks for the input.
still learning from the "masters",

rachael (rae)
humm - why does that sound familiar?? lol

Other neat veggies for Edible Landscaping are Russian Kale
and Bright Lights swiss chard. Both are gorgeous plants and
really tasty. The best part about the Kale is that deer won't
eat it, and it takes snow heavy enough to physically break
the plant down to kill it. (It tastes better after a few frosts
anyway.)

Seeds of Change puts out a beautiful catalog!

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Hey Jan,

Once again, much thanks for the tips. Hadn't ever tried kale. Always fed
it to the many pet rabbits my step-dad had. I guess by feeding it to them,
I never thought to eat it myself. Any recommendations on it cooking wise?
Gonna have collards for supper, we love them around these parts. To me they
are better after frost too. Dry-weather collards are a little bitter to me,
but still good to eat when cooked right. ( i don't think i have to worry
about "frag" crashing my supper! LOL {in reference to his previous comment
on greens on other post}).
I checked out the website for seeds of change also.

Thanks again,
Rae

To cook kale, you can steam it, stir fry it or eat the young leaves
in salads. Or (my favorite) steam it real quick, then saute it in
butter & garlic, gently and not for too long. I'll dig out the
"How to cook without recipes" book tomorrow and give you better
instructions for that.

There are two kinds of kale and many cultivars. Kale is a very
close relative to collards : )

Go read this:

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Kale_C99.cfm

then click on the growing instructions in the sidebar on
the left side of the page.

Kale is a cool season crop. If you're down south, you'd have
to wait until late summer/early fall to grow it.

Anyway, more later.

We have a darned grizzly bear hanging out around our place.
The SO has spooked it off the driveway two days in a row.
(We have to walk 1/2 mile to the mailbox this time of year.
The driveway is too muddy to drive and we've been too busy
to bring the 8N Ford tractor up here from the ranch to drive
that in & out.) So we spent awhile this morning reloading
the appropriate firearms with the heaviest ammo we have for
everything. What a PITA -- I'm trying to put the garden in --
I hate having to keep the shotgun handy while gardening.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.