Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Keith

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

Mine is in a big pot underneath an evergreen bush. It's survived the snow
and the frost and is now growing pretty fast.
Even c. cirrhosa 'Freckles' is doing pretty well. I'm having more trouble
with the normal hybrids than the difficult to grow varieties.

Keith (West London)

"K" wrote in message

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
: The message
: from "K" contains these words:
:
: I planed 3 of the above in a large earthenware pot last spring and

they
: flowered beautifully on their support. For the winter, I covered the
: compost with a black membrane and bark chippings and they had recently
: started to sprout new leaves. A couple of weeks ago we had a few

quite
hard
: frosts here in outer London and I notice the new shoots have been
affected.
: Now I've just got a brown straggly mess. Have I lost them, or is

there
: chance they will shoot again? They were so pretty and were the first
: clematis I have tried in a container so I would hate to lose them.
:
: I don't know the answer to the question, I'm afraid, except that, with a
: bit of luck, there might be more buds below the surface of the compost,
: which might sprout.
:
: I'm interested in the hardiness of C. sieboldii generally as well. On
: Rachel Sullivan's excellent website, (http://www.ukclematis.co.uk) she
: says that Clematis florida 'Sieboldii' needs a "very sheltered
: site/conservatory". In one or two other places I've looked it doesn't
: specify so much protection, but obviously your experiences too suggest
: that it's susceptible.
:
: I wonder whether Rachel or anyone else can comment more fully? My baby
: plant is standing outside at the moment and seems to have survived
: recent frosts.
:
: Janet G
:
Thanks, Janet. I also read Rachel's comments and had compared it to other
info I have read. At the time I thought mine was OK as it had survived

what
I call winter frosts, but it obviously got caught by the early spring

ones.