Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Chemical to kill grass in my rockery

On 2 Jun, 03:29, Anne Jackson wrote:
If it's anything like my couch grass, it probably spread from
next-door's garden... Why would you spread gravel, then rocks
and soil? That doesn't constitute a 'rock garden...

Errr... yep. Gravel and shale is very much the environment for rock
plants. They like lil' crevices to grow in. How on earth the grass
gets in there? You start on your soil, preferably on a slop - at least
that's what I've heard. Then gravel, stones to make a good drainage.
Most rock gardens I've seen are like this. Unless you're my father in
law and on 5sqm you put 4 big rocks amongst some busy lizzy and a
couple of bellis for good measure and say 'that's a rock garden'.
Which it's not, innit ;o)