Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default For Charlie - hot sauce

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

Red sauce: My grandmother makes the best red sauce. Back home (two hours
north of where I live now) everybody requests her sauce whenever there is
cook-out. People have even been known to ask for bottles of it as gifts
from her at christmas or birthdays. My mom & I fix it down here (the
exact
same way) but Nana's always seems to taste even better. (I think it must
be
the "grandma effect")

The easiest way:

"Scuse me, I was eaves dripping on your conversation.

Hi Bill,

I'm borrowing your's and charlie's style of replying here. (LOL)
Who cares if you were eaves dropping? doesn't everybody on this forum?
(more laughing)

Is there a way from scratch to make the Red Sauce?

Of course, there's a way to make it from scratch. My nana just won't give
me that recipe..........yet, but i'll get it one day. However there are
several red sauce recipes to found on the web - I just don't like them as
good. Quite a few use some wines, and I don't go for that.

Hot pepper vinegar? New one to me (sheltered life that I live). I'm more
used to the pepper seeds in the olive oil routine. Use habanero seeds
and, a little dab will do ya.

Hot pepper vinegar is something that you definitely have to use in
moderation to begin with. Well, at least until you determine just how hot
it is! I have used habanero as well, however I have grown cayenne that were
actually hotter. And of course - NEVER RUB YOUR EYES after handling hot
pepper! (my hometown pastor found that out the hard way!)

Sure is easy to see the French influence on southern cooking.

I don't know much about that part - except for maybe the cajun and creole
found a little farther south of where I am.

Now if we could only start demonstrating like our German cousins. Sturm
and Drang in Rostock. The Heiligendamm meeting aimed to give
globalization a human face. Kinda like Bush with a Barney mask.

Once again - I don't know much about the German part either....a little over
my head..........however, Barney - I know about! wonder why...............

Rae

But I digress . . .

- (y)lliB

Some things we do.

Frugal Gourmet BBQ Sauce

1 Cup Tomatoe Paste
1/2 Cup Wostershire
1/4 Cup Liquid Smoke
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Mustard Prepared
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Cups beef stock
1t red pepper
1T Chile Powder

Simmer 2 hours

We eat this on brisket mostly.

beef brisket

4 pounds fresh beef brisket (up to 5 lbs)
2 teaspoons unseasoned meat tenderizer
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce

serves 8 to 10

Place brisket on large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle
tenderizer and seasonings on both sides of meat. Pour liquid smoke and
Worcestershire sauce over top. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 6 to
10 hours or overnight.

Place foil-wrapped brisket in Crock-Pot (cut brisket in half, if
necessary, to fit easily). cover and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12
hours.

Chill brisket, then cut across the grain into thin slices. Before
serving, reheat eat in you favorite barbecue sauce.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade