Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default sweet butter lettuce

To cook kale, you can steam it, stir fry it or eat the young leaves
in salads. Or (my favorite) steam it real quick, then saute it in
butter & garlic, gently and not for too long. I'll dig out the
"How to cook without recipes" book tomorrow and give you better
instructions for that.

There are two kinds of kale and many cultivars. Kale is a very
close relative to collards : )

Go read this:

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Kale_C99.cfm

then click on the growing instructions in the sidebar on
the left side of the page.

Kale is a cool season crop. If you're down south, you'd have
to wait until late summer/early fall to grow it.

Anyway, more later.

We have a darned grizzly bear hanging out around our place.
The SO has spooked it off the driveway two days in a row.
(We have to walk 1/2 mile to the mailbox this time of year.
The driveway is too muddy to drive and we've been too busy
to bring the 8N Ford tractor up here from the ranch to drive
that in & out.) So we spent awhile this morning reloading
the appropriate firearms with the heaviest ammo we have for
everything. What a PITA -- I'm trying to put the garden in --
I hate having to keep the shotgun handy while gardening.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Thanks Jan,

I really appreciate it. I believe I am going to try your "favorite" way of
cooking it - sounds good to me too. Wonder how it would be with vidalia
onions?

The main variation of kale around here is the dwarf kind. We are definitely
down south (NC) so if we like it I will probably try to plant some when the
watermelons, squash, etc is over. Oh, I went ahead and planted some sweet
butter lettuce too. We normally sow right in the ground - but I started
these in some pots I had to see how they will do. Also have to wait until
there is room in the garden for them. Might have to move some of my
husband's hay equipment................of course that might not go to good
(lol) - have to wait and see I guess!

Thank God we don't have grizzlies around here just yet. Due to growth in
the mountains (we are in the southeastern sandhill/coastal region of NC),
several bears have moved to our area in search of their natural style
habitats. So we have black & brown bears now. 10 years ago, you would have
never seen bears in this region. And I happen to know that keeping a gun
handy while gardening or just outside with both the kids absolutely ain't no
fun, too. (but we keep the gun handy for other reasons, such as snakes,
cougars, bobcats, etc.)

Good luck with your bear watching!
Rae