Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Turnips failure - v odd

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote after Brian Watson wrote:
: My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have
: come through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at
: all.
:
: They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
: surface to prevent germination.
:
: Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

same here on a couple of sowings. Flea beetle I think, my third lot are
looking more promising

I too think it's probably Flea Beatle, our rows of turnips and radishes just
appeared above the surface and the Flea Beatle were on them. I coated the
tiny plants with Derris Dust but it has kept raining and washing it off, so
half the turnips are gone and the tiny Radishes look like lace as do the
small cabbage plants. Seems worse than ever this year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden