Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Worm question

Lilah Morgan said:

When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think it's a
worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY skinny and

black.
Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have known it was a worm if
it hadn't of been moving around like worms do. Anyone have any ideas

what
kind of worm it is, and if it's a bad one? I put it in an old coffee can
with some wet dirt because if it was a bad worm, I don't want it
'contaminating' anything, and it's a good worm, I don't wanna kill it.

This is probably a horsehair worm, a good-guy. They are parasites of
grasshoppers, crickets, etc. Go ahead and put it back where you found it!

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/inhsreports...r95/page4.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7471.html

(attributed to Don Marti)