Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny Jenny is offline

Default Update on my Garden

Pat,

I know exactly what you mean about the bluets!

I grew up in the downtown area of a major city and had never seen
wildflowers until I was in my early 20s and moved to a farm way out in
the country (not far from where I live now.) The bluets enchanted me
and I have loved them ever since.

I'm really thrilled at how many wildflowers have decided to colonize our
land. The builder blasted the rock away to build on it, then put all the
trees he'd removed into a woodchipper and covered everything on the
property but the lawn with literally a foot of coarsely ground mulch. We
ended up paying a crazy amount of money to have the mulch removed and
trucked away as it was infected with artillery fungus and stinkhorns.
When the mulch was removed, all that was left was extremely thin soil
and rocks, rocks, and more rocks. It was UGLY, which is one reason I
didn't take pictures of it before.

We tossed a lot of packets of wildflower seed on the rock last year, but
most of the wild stuff that has moved in seems to be the stuff that
already lives in the neighborhood. I'd found the fairy wings and bluets
on the logging road behind the house last spring.

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jenny said:

You're all invited to see the garden pictures. They're at:

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden

Oh, thanks for the picutures of the bluets! I always considered them the
'May flowers' of song when I was a kid in Connecticut. Have seen them
in 40 years, but I remember them well. They always seemed a bit
magical to me...