Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM posted to sci.agriculture.beekeeping,misc.news.internet.discuss,sci.environment,rec.gardens,alt.politics
Red[_2_] Red[_2_] is offline

Default The Baffling Disappearance of The Bees.

On Jun 1, 11:48 am, SDR wrote:
Couldn't sleep at all last night: Heat made me turn on
the ceiling fan and the noise from that kept me imagining
there were little creatures from outer space creeping
around the house. Then because I had been reading
about the disappearance of the bee before going to bed
... all night long I kept mulling over this nightmare scenario
where our bees were being abducted by little creatures
from outer space (after they had, naturally, gone through
all their own planet's fierce beasts) to be used in their
bizarre rite of passage from "boy"to "warrior" (in which
each "boy" had to engage in a fight to the death with a
"fierce creature" from another planet (our bee). I "watched"
a couple of the fight, and they were pretty horrifying.

Otherwise, since this is a world-wide phenomenon, there
must be a world-wide cause. And the only thing I can
think of off the top on my head happening world-wide
right now is the shifting of the earth' magnetic field(s).

Whatever the cause turns out to be, the mystery is truly
upsetting on many human levels. Reminds one of just how
fragile our existence on this planet really is.

S D Rodrianhttp://poems.sdrodrian.comhttp://physics.sdrodrian.comhttp://mp3s.sdrodrian.com

All religions are local.
Only science is universal.

I haven't seen a honey bee this year! But the numerous species of
bumble bee seem to be reproducing at a much higher than normal level
since there is no competition for food. IMHO, they are taking up much
of the slack for the missing honey bees. Maybe not enough for
commercial growers, but certainly enough for the rural/urban gardens.

-Red