Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Rod

Default Small weeping trees

"Hussein M." wrote in message

Prunus incisa is purported to grow to 6m.
I have a P. incisa too and it is, as you say, a delight at this
moment. It isn't a 'Pendula' it's a 'Plena' (and plena it is too -
I've never seen such a mass of flowers).

It's only a couple of feet high yet and seems to have quite an
upright habit. it grows quite slowly I am told and it is already
apparent that the internodal distance is quite short and the growth
hardens rigid quite quickly. Anyway it seems as though it might lend
itself to structural pruning.

I wonder whether your 'Pendula' is created by the grafting I
described in a previous message or is a 'natural'.

I have a newly acquired P. spinosa too. Wow that is taking off
strangely. Thorns out of all proportion to the plant - some pointing
straight downward from near horizontal branches - are producing tiny
green leaf axils all down their length.

Huss

Yes the typical P. incisa is said to get to about 6m but the selected clones are all very different from the tiny short
jointed bushy ones like 'Kojo-no-mai' (sp?) to the weeping form and your double. I think its probably on its own roots -
at least I can't find any evidence of a graft union - this is one of the things I dislike about the more frequently seen
weeping cherries like 'Cheal's Weeping', often top worked on P.avium so you get this silly umbrella perched on a great
thick P. avium stem; plus you get the avium suckers everywhere. So no I don't know how this thing is propagated, I don't
whether it would respond to growing on a stool system - where strong growing established plants are cut to the ground to
force many strong basal growths, the stool is then earthed up during the growing season to enourage rooting on the bases
of the stems, the individual stems are then detached and lifted with some root. A 2 year old stem done on this system
would probably be a basis on which to form a saleable tree in another season or perhaps 2.

I've not grown P. spinosa - sounds like a nice companion to Rosa omeiensis pteracantha with its huge translucent
prickles. Then if you've got Berberis or Cacti you'll be able to amaze your friends and delight your family by knowing
the difference between thorns, prickles & spines ;~)))))
btw even Peter Beales on line catalogue gets that wrong ;~))

Rod