Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Red spider mites?

Steve Calvin wrote:
I've got 'em. How do I get rid of them without hurting any plants?
I've read about introducing other predator mites but it said that could
take 5 years or so to "get them in balance". I don't want balance, I
want those little suckers gone. They're all over the house siding,
sidewalks, etc.

Most insecticides are not very effective against mites. You might try
horticultural oil, if the weather is not too hot where you are. The
bottle probably says "dormant oil spray", and it should have directions
for mixing it half-strength for spraying mites, white flies, etc. I
just used it last week to get rid of red mites on Wife's miniature
roses. (this reminds me, I need to spray them again today) If the
temperature is above 85°F, I believe you can still use the stuff if you
spray in the evenings.

Blasting the plants with a hard spray of water also kind of works. I
would try to kill as many as possible first with the oil.

Bob