Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default Red spider mites?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

I've got 'em. How do I get rid of them without hurting any
plants? I've read about introducing other predator mites
but it said that could take 5 years or so to "get them in
balance". I don't want balance, I want those little suckers
gone. They're all over the house siding, sidewalks, etc.

When I had that bad of an infestation on my chickens, (they could have
rapidly bled the hens to death!), I used 5% sevin.

I prefer organic means most of the time but sometimes there is not time
for that.

At lease sevin biodegrades rapidly.

You could try Pyrethrine too.

Talk about getting blind-sided. I would never have thought of earthworms
as a problem. Still don't.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...earthworms.htm

Problem: Earthworms - Lumbricus terrestris Earthworm Damage to
Lawn.jpg (49339 bytes)

to mow, nightcrawlers may be the cause. These bumps are randomly spaced
rather than a "run" like is seen with moles.

Nightcrawlers are large worms (usually 4 to 8 inches or more). They
belong to a group of earthworms known as deep-burrowers. The
deep-burrowers build large, vertical, permanent burrows that may reach
as deep as 5 or 6 feet. Nightcrawlers pull plant material down into
their burrows which can be fed on later. The bumps you see on top of the
ground are called "middens" and are a mixture of plant residues and
castings (worm feces). These middens may be used for protection and food
reserves. The burrows can have a significant positive effect on soil by
opening up channels for water and air to penetrate. Roots also like
these channels due to the ease of root penetration and nutrients found
in the casting material lining the burrow.

Recommendations: Nightcrawlers actually help the soil but may make it
difficult to mow. Getting rid of the middens will be difficult. Rolling
the lawn while the middens are soft may help temporarily, but mounds
will be rebuilt when nightcrawlers become active again. Also, there is
nothing labeled for nightcrawler control.

Some gardeners want to protect the nightcrawlers due to their positive
effect on soils. Pesticides that may be used for other pests vary widely
in their toxic effects on earthworms. Dylox appears to have no effect.
Malathion may be slightly toxic while Sevin, Benomyl, copper sulfate,
and the arsenicals (MSMA, DSMA) are extremely toxic. Avoid using the
latter group while nightcrawlers are active if you wish to protect them.