Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Preparing soil for planting,

When we moved in seven years ago the first thing I did was have a lap
pool built. The soil was 4 feet deep where they excavated the hole,
so I had them put it in back of the yard where my garden is. Then, I
had the compost delivered and paid someone to till it in to mix with
the native soil. I waited till the weed seeds germinated because
whenever you disturb soil it will encourage weed seeds to come out of
dormancy. I tried to pull them all and then put in the beds using
limestone, in irregular shapes and slowly started planting native
plants.

The first few years I was gardening organically, still killing
insects. Then I became a Buddhist and took vows to not kill. So,
that was the impetus of no killing, not even insects which Buddhists
in my tradition believe are also sentient beings with consciousness as
we have.

It took about three years for the flea beetles to go away, and the
aphids to go away, but I stuck it out. Now the garden has found a
balance. I leave the debris on the ground around the plants and clean
up any diseased debris. There is absolutely a certain amount of
damage I was willing to withstand, but so far this year I haven't had
any pest insects in large enough numbers to ruin the aesthetic of the
plants. There is definitely an amount of tolerance you have to endure
till the garden balances out.

If you spend money on compost and work it in best you can, it will be
money well spent. Be careful who you buy your compost from. I happen
to know The Natural Gardener makes their own, in wind rows where they
innoculate it with microbes from the compost tea brews.

The life I save when I rescue an ant from the pool is my own.

No killing

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 07:48:06 -0700, "
wrote:

Again thank you,

It never occured to me to have dirt delivered to help the soil.
Did you dig up anything prior to laying the dirt?
Where in your yard did you put it?
Also you mentioned that you do not kill insects. I myself do not enjoy
killing things but if you have bugs eating at your vegetable garden,
or eating your prized flowers what do you do? I am currently using a
frugal and more natural method of killing some weeds and am happy with
the results . I like things that do not harm the enviroment.
I have read some things about how run off from gardens harms the
enviroment.
thank you,
Anita

What I did when I bought this house was to have a dozen yards of
Revitilizer mix delivered. It wasn't THAT expensive. Delivery and
all I think it was somewhere in the 400 dollar range. BUT, now the
soil has been innoculated with beneficial fungi and bacteria and that
is what restores the soil, along with mulch, black strap molassas,
seaweed, and hygiene.