Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Climbing rose suggestions?

In message m, VX
writes
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:35:59 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote
(in message ):

Most climbers are going to need some sort of care, tieing in, pruning etc,
so despite what you say I would still suggest you leave the rose as it's
growing so well in a difficult situation and prune it every year to keep it
in bounds.

Thanks for the idea- oddly I had never even thought of that!

Meanwhile, any suggestions for small-ish thorny climbers that don't need a
lot of sunlight are welcome.....

Pyracantha is thorny and doesn't need sun; it's a wall-shrub, not a
climber, but a climber-like result can be achieved with training and
pruning - but it's a thug too if it takes off, so you would still have
to prune it once or ideally twice a year....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin