Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default Any Rose experts?

"Klara" wrote in message
I love roses but mostly we tend to go to see others' rose gardens in
June and not have roses ourselves, because we live a peculiar sort of
life: when we have deadlines, we have deadlines, and life has to go on
hold, sometimes for months on end. So roses (and much other regular
gardening) isn't really on for us.

We had four standard roses at our last house. I hate gardening really but
they were really easy to look after. At the end of each season I just cut
off all of that years growth less about 1". I've no idea if thats the
right thing to do! We were there seven years and they flowered just about
all season - frequently into november. When the new growth was about 6-8"
long I sprayed them with something out of a can to kill any bugs. I don't
really know what it was. There was a picture of a rose and a bug on the can
but the writing was in dutch (we lived in Belgium) and I never bothered to
translate it. In the winter we dumped ash from the wood fire around the base
but only because that was just the easiest place to put it! Remarkable
flowers for very little effort really.

Anyone tried or recommend thornless roses?