Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default More about Bob

San Diego Joe wrote:

"k" wrote:

Glad to see Bob slithered back into
town.

DH talked to the vet today about what to
do if he ran into rattlesnakes again with
the dogs. Vet said bites are rare but they
already had one dog bit this year. Anti venom
costs about $500+ and then there is after
care. Still cheap at twice the price.

We had our dogs vaccinated for rattlesnake venom a couple of years ago.
They get a booster every spring. While it doesn't work for every variety
of rattlesnake, it seems like cheap protection. I have dragged more than
one snake out of my yard, so I know they are here. I would just ignore
them, but dogs always seem to lead with their noses!

Yeah - we don't have poisonous snakes, but one of our dogs has a similar
weakness for porcupines. Rarely fatal, but after a half-dozen visits to
the vet (and if it's anything under a couple of hundred quills I can
usually handle it myself) we're well up to the "twice the price" figure of
that anti-venom.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated