Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying
about 8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t
want
to screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the
whole thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with
specs, part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so
far as "order info" but with specific part availability).

Funny. Try googling "build your own pond filter"

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see anything there that actually
gives the sort of detail Gareee wants. I really do recall having seen
some
that did.

It's funny you mention that,. Derek.. the whole point of getting the group
back was to have a resource for us to share information, but when someone
has an honest problem, and asks for issues, were were a number of "google it
yourself" replies.

When I build my smaller filter last year, not once was a bulkhead mentioned
in any reply, and I think I made 15 trips to either a lowe's walmart or home
depot getting parts to assemble. I've already spent probably 4 hours in
store this year on the new one, and a full day on assembly, trying to get it
right with a larger filter this go around.

I'm still not 100% sure the toilet flages using the wax gaskets will work
over time, but no one offered a solution to adding them to a rubbermaid at
all, so I just kind of made it up as I went along. I stil might have to
actually make gaskets of some kind, and add a home made rigid gasket for the
inner connectors on the rubbermaid.

And while many people live "in the big city" where a lot of options for
parts are available, many of us do NOT, and have few shopping options. I
personally have a Lowe's and walmart nearby, a Home Depot 30 minutes highway
away, and a few scattered farm supply stores, that look like they are still
mired in the 70's. My only other resource is shopping on the web, but if you
get the wrong parts, it's weeks before that can be turned around and
rectified, plus then you have to add shipping costs.

I was a bit dismayed by the negative replies to me assembly issues, but held
my tounge.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)