Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller Treedweller is offline

Default Cedar Problems

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:08:39 -0700, wrote:

I have a cedar hedge in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada.
The trees have begun to lose their foliage in the lower half and the
process seems to be extending progressively upwards. Our soil is a
shallow, stony and damp clay and my back garden is particularly poorly
drained. I cannot see any bugs or fungi. Any ideas?

Likely a fungal disease, maybe Cercospora needle blight (do teh
needles brown bottom-to-top, inside to tips?). Try to dry out the
soil between irrigation.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT