Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default Chemical to kill grass in my rockery

On Jun 1, 10:07 pm, platypusgra wrote:
Can any one help I have a large rockery with some lovely alpines and
heathers. I am forever pulling the couch grass out by hand and short
of digging out all my rockery I can not seem to find any chemical to
just kill grass at the shops. All the chemicals in the seem to just
kill anything green or weeds in the lawn. I am looking for something
to be selective just for grass. I dont like using chemicals if I can
help it but it seems the only option?

Sometimes, as with couch grass, only chemicals will get rid of it.
You can pull it out forever, but it will return. Let the couch grow
so that you can hold quite a bit in a gloved hand on which you have
smeared glycohwhasit.

Alternatively, still wearing plastic gloves or surgeons gloves, push
the couch grass into a sandwich bag in which you have poured just a
teaspoon of the glycho mixture, twist the bag and tie up with the
wires supplied. This will kill the counch grass right back to the
root, it will not come back although, of course, new growth can come
in from surrounding areas but I got rid of it from a rockery in just
one application. The entire rockery looked a bit daft for a couple of
weeks with all these bags, but it did the trick and it will also work
as well with bindweed and ground elder.

Judith