Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
M[_1_] M[_1_] is offline

Default Tree Roots Under Tarmac

"Martin Harran" wrote in message
I'm having a major problem with tree roots cracking my tarmac drive.

I'm not sure exactly where the roots are coming from, I have a beech hedge
alongside the driveway, about 8 yeras old and only 4 ft high. Immediately
behind that is a Leylandii hedge that my neighbour planted about 10 years
ago which he keeps trimmed about 8 ft high - I'm much more suspicious of
the leylandii.

I don't want really want to cut down my own beech hedge - I planted it in
front of the leylandii because I detest leylandii hedging - and I don't
want to ask my neighbour to kill off his hedge when I'm not certain that
is casuing the problem.

What I was thinking of doing was to drill some holes in the tarmac where
the cracks are and try to kill off the roots at that point, keeping my
fingers crossed that the hedge will survive with the roots going in the
opposite direction.

Is this likely to work and can anyone recommend a suitable chemical to
apply?

Why not replace the tarmac drive with gravel? Problem solved!