Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Apple Tree From Seed in Mid-Atlantic

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:56:58 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

There is no 'might' about it. About the same odds as winning the jackpot lotto.
Why encourage these people to waste their time? If they had a one in ten chance
of
a decent apple, I might say try it, but the odds against it are more like 1 in
the tens
of thousands, or worse. People are going to reply that they had good luck with
certain stone fruits, etc., but these are different species of fruit with
different genetic
characteristics. Apples do not reproduce anything genetically close, directly
from
their seed. There are no shortcuts in growing apple trees. End of story.

Sherwin D.

The apple tree I have in my yard is "Golden Dorset" or "Dorset
Golden", a chance seedling from Bermuda.

Unfortunately the people there didn't know as much as you, or they
would have eliminated it at the first opportunity.

Things with a one in a million probability happen every day in this
world, sometimes people even win the lottery.

I like my story better than yours. While I have lived with the idea of
never trying anything that I don't know the outcome, I don't recommend
it to others.