Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Disaster or Nightmare, Whatever.

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:09:05 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:27:39 -0700, wrote:

I would like to take some good suggestions/advices here because I
guess the garden people are all here.

I am not a garden person myself, I hate lawn care. I did some crazy
things, and probably ruined my backyard, (which is about 33'x33') --
took away all the grass, lay down filters, and pave the yard with 4"
G.A., and on top of the compacted G.A., I put 2" pebbles. I still
leave 3 8'x10'-sqared bare-earth areas, now I am planting some trees
and peony on them. And my house is very close to my neighbors, even
the smallest truck can not pass to the backyard, I did all the above
stuffs with a small cart. If I had known the drawbacks, I would not
have ever done so.

Amen on the lawn care hatred.....that isn't gardening.

I hate lawn care too, waste of fuel, bad juju for the environment, etc.

What is G.A.?

I did these last year, thought it could stop the weeds, but I started
seeing the weeds soon. Now it is the second year, and now more weeds
are poping up the pebbles. Currently I spray salt on the weeds, in
order to kill them.

salt definitely kills weeds,,,,,what about a wider application. This
may sound smarty, it's not, but just keep pulling and salting them.
It is a meditational thing, does help one relax and ease stress.

What would be an easy way to prevent the weeds on the pebbles?

Also if I do not have to remove all the pebble and GA, what can I do
to improve the yard? I wish I could have some simple solution, say how
about put concrete on the yard? I know this is some kind of madness.
But any good ideas?\

Concrete is expensive.......really expensive if you can't get a truck
close. Plus it is really ugly....I know. It has all the beauty and
warmth of ........ahhh, never mind,,,,,it's ugly.

Thanks a millions.

Think zen garden.

And ignore the chemical-heads, they want to poison all of us.

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie

And let me disagree. Salt is a poison, just not a very effective one.
Garden shops sell stuff like soil sterilants, with chlorates and
borates. A problem with these, and salt as well, is that they don't
stay where we put them, they go off to poison the water table.

I'd look into some of the soap based products, Safer is a good brand,
in my opinion.