Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] tiwen000@yahoo.com is offline

Default Disaster or Nightmare, Whatever.

On Jun 4, 1:09 am, Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:27:39 -0700, wrote:
I would like to take some good suggestions/advices here because I
guess the garden people are all here.

I am not a garden person myself, I hate lawn care. I did some crazy
things, and probably ruined my backyard, (which is about 33'x33') --
took away all the grass, lay down filters, and pave the yard with 4"
G.A., and on top of the compacted G.A., I put 2" pebbles. I still
leave 3 8'x10'-sqared bare-earth areas, now I am planting some trees
and peony on them. And my house is very close to my neighbors, even
the smallest truck can not pass to the backyard, I did all the above
stuffs with a small cart. If I had known the drawbacks, I would not
have ever done so.

Amen on the lawn care hatred.....that isn't gardening.

I hate lawn care too, waste of fuel, bad juju for the environment, etc.

What is G.A.?

I did these last year, thought it could stop the weeds, but I started
seeing the weeds soon. Now it is the second year, and now more weeds
are poping up the pebbles. Currently I spray salt on the weeds, in
order to kill them.

salt definitely kills weeds,,,,,what about a wider application. This
may sound smarty, it's not, but just keep pulling and salting them.
It is a meditational thing, does help one relax and ease stress.

What would be an easy way to prevent the weeds on the pebbles?

Also if I do not have to remove all the pebble and GA, what can I do
to improve the yard? I wish I could have some simple solution, say how
about put concrete on the yard? I know this is some kind of madness.
But any good ideas?\

Concrete is expensive.......really expensive if you can't get a truck
close. Plus it is really ugly....I know. It has all the beauty and
warmth of ........ahhh, never mind,,,,,it's ugly.

Thanks a millions.

Think zen garden.

And ignore the chemical-heads, they want to poison all of us.

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie

G.A. is the crushed stones, they call it gravels, if I spell it
correctly.

I know people here are laughing at what I have done so far. Please if
someone can give some good advice. I am desperately looking for some
good hints.

Do I have to remove all the pebble and G.A. out of the yard? And put
back soil and sod? That could be an impossible task so far. -- Is
there any other solutions?

What is a "zen" garden in your mind? Is that going to be good? I will
have to need some ideas.