Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Red spider mites?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

I've got 'em. How do I get rid of them without hurting any
plants? I've read about introducing other predator mites
but it said that could take 5 years or so to "get them in
balance". I don't want balance, I want those little suckers
gone. They're all over the house siding, sidewalks, etc.

When I had that bad of an infestation on my chickens, (they could have
rapidly bled the hens to death!), I used 5% sevin.

I prefer organic means most of the time but sometimes there is not time
for that.

At lease sevin biodegrades rapidly.

You could try Pyrethrine too.

Hey Om:

Have you ever tried diatomaceous earth for mites/lice on chickens?

I just put some Sevin in my hens' favorite dust hole, but I hate
using stuff like that, if at all possible to find a natural remedy.
I sure as hell didn't want to dust the hens directly with the stuff.

I figure that if I need to glove-up to put something on my critters,
it's probably not something I really want to use, if there's any
viable alternative...

The reason I moved to Alaska was because of going into anaphylactic
shock after spraying some poison on some apple trees. Damn near died.
I decided if I was going to die in my early '30's, it would at least be
somewhere that I like living.

After growing up around horticultural poisons in my mom's greenhouses,
I've had my lifetime dose anyway.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.