Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_2_] Peter James[_2_] is offline

Default Trimming Virginia Creeper and nesting birds

David (Normandy) wrote:

Our house is engulfed in Virginia Creeper which while it looks lovely, is
now taking over the gutters and starting to get onto the roof. The upstairs
windows have almost vanished!
It needs trimming back a foot or two at the top. The dilemma is whether to
trim it back now or wait until Autumn? Virginia creeper can damage the roof
tiles, but it is also full of nesting sparrows which I don't want to disturb
or make homeless. There appear to be several nests immediately under the
guttering in the creeper which is exactly where I want to trim. Anyone know
when sparrows stop breeding and will leave home of their own accord?

Photo at http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5413a.jpg

David

Your only real problem is the way that any actions on your part are
constrained by the prresence of nesting birds. See the Wildlife and
Coutryside Act at : http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3614