Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robkgraham@btinternet.com is offline

Default Lime or not ??

On 3 Jun, 23:07, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Wally" wrote I've been told by another allotment holder
that he intends to cover his plot with lime
over the winter months.
He said this will get rid of the weeds.

Anything that gets rid of weeds sounds good
to me but I would like some more opinions
before I do the same.

Any thoughts on lime please.

You only have to lime a plot if the pH is low (acid, that's below pH7) and
you want to grow brassicas which prefer a pH at 7 or slightly above
(alkaline).
Our plot came out at pH5.6 in some places, which is quite acid for soil,
when we took it over so we lime the Brassica plot each year as it rotates
round our allotment to bring the pH up to pH7.
Compost and manure will usually help to make the soil acid too.
Lime has no effect at all on weeds IMO.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

The other reason for liming for brassicas is if your ground suffers
from the club root fungus. The higher pH helps to keep the fungus
under control in conjunction with a club root control root drench. My
brassicas used to suffer quite badly but the liming/root drench regime
keeps it at bay for me now.

Rob