Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Default Lime or not ??

Wally wrote:
I've been told by another allotment holder
that he intends to cover his plot with lime
over the winter months.
He said this will get rid of the weeds.

Anything that gets rid of weeds sounds good
to me but I would like some more opinions
before I do the same.

Any thoughts on lime please.

Wally

Depends whether the weeds are calcifuge (i.e lime haters) or not.
As yours is a new allotment I suggest you invest about a fiver in
a soil testing kit. Mark out a large 'W' and take samples from each
point and test. The pH values may differ in different parts. Then
lime appropriately.Spuds do not like an alkaline soil, cabbages and
cruciferous veg thrive on it.Your kit should give a list, and you can
organize your planting to suit.
Lime sweetens the soil and is a good thing, but not every year.
As for the weeds they are pretty tough otherwise they wouldn't be weeds!
Good Gardening.
Sam.
Sorry to be late but I take a day off on Sundays.