Old 30-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Françoise

Default begonies

How could I take one type for another? Fibrous Begonias are plants with l=
ots of
little flowers and their leaves are small; Tuberous ones have few big flo=
wers in
many bright colours. Some are double and some are single large flowers. T=
he
doubles flowers seem to be growing with a simple one of the same colour, =
on the
same stem and more or less at the same time. Their leaves are big; I meas=
ure a
leaf of one plant. It measures 7 x 4 inches.

Fibrous Begonias are cheep to buy. Last year, I gathered seeds and plant =
them in
the house. They are very successful. I planted some set in January to see=
if
they would germinate and they did and I kept some as a houseplant and the=
y are
flowering now. I have some white and pink in the same pot. I tried some c=
uttings
and they died.

On the other hand, I am having great success with the Tuberous Begonias. =
Two
summers ago I had one pink, one red, one orange and one yellow. Last year=
only
the yellow one died. Last summer I had an orange one and a deep red one f=
rom the
cuttings of the previous year. They were bigger than the mother plant. Th=
ey had
huge flowers some were at least 2.5 in. in diameter. I had also a few pin=
k ones
but the plants did not come as big and the flowers though beautiful were
slightly smaller. May be it was the location they were in. Last summer I =
bought
6 single ones. Their flowers were large some at least 3 in, in diameter. =
The
colours were varying from yellow to gold to orange almost red. It was ver=
striking. The plants were quite big.

Last fall I took a lot of cuttings from all the Tuberous Begonias I had. =
Only
one orange double survived. But the pink and the red ones were successful=
=2E I
have 6 red plants flowering on and off and this from one plant of last su=
mmer.
The simple ones also have been flowering on and off. I do not think that =
any
simple ones died.

The flowers started in January (some of the cuttings were done in Septemb=
er) and
since then there were at least 2 flowering all the time. One flowered for=
3
weeks in March. At the beginning, they were smaller and fragile lasting j=
ust a
few days. Now they are getting big and the flowers are almost as big as t=
hey
were in the garden. I had to transplant many because the pots were too sm=
all. I
started them under lights but my seedlings have replaced them. At one tim=
e this
month, I had 7 plants flowering at the same time. When they flower, I dis=
play
them in the family room. It is so nice

I got the idea from this newsgroup. I learned the process from WEB pages.=
tried other plants without success. It is fun but the problem is that it =
takes a
lot of space. On the other hand I never had any success in keeping the tu=
bers;
they do not survived. The same is true with Dahlias. I want to try some c=
uttings
of Dahlias next fall.

Try it with T. Begonias. I am certain that you will have beautiful flower=
s the
following year.

Fran=E7oise.

B & J wrote:

"Fran=E7oise" wrote in message
What I have been doing for the past 2 years was making cuttings of tube=

rous
begonia in the falls. I have now 20 cuttings flowering on and off in th=

house
right now. It is beautiful

Fran=E7oise.

It surprises me that you are able to propagate tuberous begonias from
cuttings taken in the fall. My tuberous begonias became dormant each fa=

ll,
and the leaves fell off and the stems died back. It's possible to start=

them
from stem cuttings taken early in the spring, but growing the tuber to =

size that will survive the natural dormancy period in one growing seaso=

n is
difficult, but not impossible. Are you sure you're not talking about
fiberous begonias, particularly if they're flowering in the house right=

now?
My tuberous begonias never began flowering before June.

John