Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mark N Mark N is offline

Default single red rose....

On 4 Jun, 21:44, Sam wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Hello,

I don't know much about roses in general, but I'm thinking of planting
one or two.

My garden isn't that huge, so I'm probably looking for something thats
relatively tall ( 6ft, 15ft) but doesn't take up too much space, it
doesn't need to be too neat and tidy, but at the same time something
like a moyesii would be too wild.....I prefer single flowers and I'm
not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like 'dortmund',
'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that they are
climbers.....can they be grown as free standing shrubs?.....can anyone
recommend any of these in particular or anything else?

My soil is clay, I live in the midlands in the UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, and would probably be in fullish sun.

Paul's Scarlet Climber is and old favourite, Mark.It's no trouble
and lasts for years.
Sam- Hide quoted text -

Its not single....I must admit to not being a huge fan of rose like
roses...if you see what I mean.....I prefer things like complicate,
dog rose, moyesii.