Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
raeannsimpson raeannsimpson is offline

Default For Charlie - hot sauce

On Jun 5, 12:21 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:37:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Hey! Some people around here have high cholesterol. Do you mind? Left
over pork sandwich indeed, humph. I suppose you butter the bread first
and then chase the whole thing down with a chocolate malt. Sheesh. Left
over pork, unglaublich.

Darn it....got ahead of myself on the last post.....meant to add the
appropriate wisecracks in the appropriate places.

Butter? Gimme a break! Drippings from the smoked butt are way more
unhealthy and taste much better.

Honestly though, a properly cooked chunk of hog leg may have less fat
in it than you would suspect.

So how do you mid-westerners smoke things up? Using my plain ol' Weber,
I twist up some hicory chips in some aluminum foil, and add water to
them and just let them sit. Then I fire up the coals in one of those
chimney thingies, put a can of water on the lower grill and, when the
coals are ready, pour them out next to the water, drain the water out of
the wood chips and toss the foil containing the wood chips on to the
coals, put on the meat and close the vents on the lid to about half.
Then I wait as long as I can. When doing ribs, I use real charcoal
because it burns longer.

Weber's are good cookers, I have one, and you can do fine things on
one.

You are on the right track.....needs a little fine tuning, IMO. And I
might add, if you aren't using lump charcoal and using the pressed
briquette things, you really should consider some Royal Oak Lump.

Lots of discussion over yonder 'bout that too and recomendationof
brands.

Seriously, one of the main ingredients in say, Kingsford is anthracite
coal, along with some borax and lime for binding agents and some other
things that I can't remember. There was a recent thread on this,
cames up about once a year, on the afb group

With ribs we will use a marinade/basting sauce but chicken is usually
just fine as is. Left-overs (aka: planed-overs) will either find their
way in to a salad or a tortilla or both.

Always willing to learn.
- Billy

Gardening and smoker cooking and grilling are difinitely compatible
thingie and yo ucan easily do both at once.

Charlie

I have to agree with charlie on the drippings, but don't leave out the
skin!
Like the Royal Oak Lumps too - use them from time to time
myself...........
Rae