Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Need a tomato expert to help!

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:53:18 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
I can't read Victor's mind, but "landscapers mix" can mean anything!

Agreed.

fertilizer according to the label directions. However, because of
lack of fertilization, I believe your plants in their weakened state
developed early blight.

Bingo! When we grew tomatoes (none this year, our trees grew too fast
and now it's too shady) we fertilized with organic granular fertilizer
when planting. During the growing season, we fertilized with a liquid
mix that can be absorbed by foliage and roots. We always excellent yield
and very healthy plants.

We are having the same problem! Running out of sun room to plant in.
When we bought this house nothing was here. Not a shadow. Now, the
trees and surrounding shrubs and plants create so much shade that the
only true full sun I get is out front and only in one of the beds.
That said, in a few years the burr oak we planted has now grown at
least 4 feet in two years that in a few years sun will be rather
scarce. I never would have thought to complain about NOT having
enough sunny spots!

I tried a new heirloom this year I picked up at "Gardens." 'Mexico'
is the name. Flowers, but no fruit yet. However, the Japanese
eggplant is doing fabulously well. I have to pick four today.

You can prune the trees back a bit. ;-)

It won't kill them.
--
Peace, Om