Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default When garden styles collide

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

Roberts post has caused a mild but simmering domestic between me and my
husband, he says he would have done the same as Roberts neighbours if
he thought that he was helping - he is a bit of a Peter Perfect - I
could not believe what he was saying, under no circumstances should
they have gone into your garden Robert says she stomping up the garden
muttering

angry kate

Kate - apologies if my post caused any disharmony in the Morgan
household. Whilst one of my motives for the post was undoubtedly to
seek sympathy for what I clearly consider to be an outrageous act I was
also interested to see if anyone would take up the issue on behalf of my
neighbours and if so what case they would make.

I have given this matter some thought and I admit that I would be
unhappy if a neighbour's garden became an eyesore, but I think that I
would define eyesore as something as being completely alien to the
concept of a garden e.g. something along the lines of a storage area for
rusting car bodies.

I have already indicated that I am not a fan of my neighbours style of
garden as it appears to me to be a sterile environment, but I do support
their right to interpret their space in their chosen manner.

Being as objective as I can be I accept that an old hawthorn/holly/ivy
hedge (although trimmed and topped less than 10 months ago) is not
anywhere as neat as a closely trimmed conifer hedge or fence panels. I
also accept that stands of nettles are not everyone's idea of an
attractive garden plant, even if only the very tops are visible.

Perhaps the way to think of this is that the modern 'perfect image'
style garden promoted by garden makeover programmes is not as forgiving
to its surroundings as the style supported by more relaxed, plant
focussed, gardening programmes.

--
Robert