Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default When garden styles collide

On 5/6/07 16:51, in article , "Robert"
wrote:
snip

I have already indicated that I am not a fan of my neighbours style of
garden as it appears to me to be a sterile environment, but I do support
their right to interpret their space in their chosen manner.

Being as objective as I can be I accept that an old hawthorn/holly/ivy
hedge (although trimmed and topped less than 10 months ago) is not
anywhere as neat as a closely trimmed conifer hedge or fence panels. I
also accept that stands of nettles are not everyone's idea of an
attractive garden plant, even if only the very tops are visible.

Perhaps the way to think of this is that the modern 'perfect image'
style garden promoted by garden makeover programmes is not as forgiving
to its surroundings as the style supported by more relaxed, plant
focussed, gardening programmes.

You know, Robert, I think you could send this to e.g. Gardener's World. I
do, really. I think it could make an interesting programme and I think,
too, that these programmes should be thinking of emphasising the need to
provide areas for wildlife in even the tiniest of gardens. The modern trend
is in that direction, not in that of concrete and steel and sunloungers.
That is rather passé now. Emphasise that, the urging to consider global
warming, start composting etc. and suggest they start a new series by
interviewing you and your neighbour to demonstrate opposing points of view.
Of course, if you happen to get a hedgehog or three into your garden.......
;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk