Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Gill Passman wrote:
It has been a few years since I filled in the old pond (wrong location
and a small toddler)......the little one can now swim so the time is
now right again. There are three possible locations for a pond, all of
which, I'm sure will end up as ponds in the end. But for now, I need
to fix the water feature so extending it to a small puddle should not
be too much extra work.

The "water feature" consists of a reservoir taking the water up to a
prefab waterfall covered in rocks so looks reasonably natural. The
problem is that the darn thing leaks - so at the very least I will
need to lift it out and line it so all the water goes back into the
reservoir - a water feature doesn't look quite right if you need the
hose pipe running into it to keep it topped up when you run it -
lol....the resident frogs don't seem to care though....

So my thoughts are I may as well extend it to create a small
pond......the plan would be to line the drop into the reservoir but
continue to use the pre-fab (maybe)......remove the grilling and the
reservoir itself and dig out a bit further. The reservoir already goes
below the frost line so I don't need to go deeper.

The pond/puddle itself will not be of any great capacity.....I'm
thinking a few goldfish/shubunkins and a lot of oxygenating
plants......by the time the fish outgrow it the larger pond should be
under construction/finished. The top reservoir would be heavily
planted to act as a veggie filter (and I love watercress so that
would probably be the plant of choice). The circulation would be done
by the existing Hozelock pump (I forget it's exact turnover - it has
been there for 5 years). I'm looking at a light fish stock and using
plants and the veggie filter to provide the only filtration.....the
pump will aerate the water.....

Anyone see any flaws in this plan? (apart from disturbing the frogs)

TIA
Gill

Me? I'm forecasting a very hot summer. Will a veggie filter be enough?
You're talking small puddle and a 'few' fish........I have an uneasy feeling
about this Gill. Got some diagrams/dimensions/gallonage?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK