Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 AM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Need a tomato expert to help!

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

You can prune the trees back a bit. ;-)

It won't kill them.

These trees are live oaks on steroids! There are no trees here
younger than 200 years old and my neighbors tree has a canopy of
almost 150 feet with a diameter of 5 feet. We bought one of those
tree chain saw things and prune the trees at the proper times of year
to prevent oak wilt (not in the area, but still being cautious). I
tell ya, in months it seems the canopy is back down hitting me in the
head.

I understand... :-)
My live oaks out back provide the critters with shade (2 dogs, 2 ducks
and 1 emu) but I'm a bit more ruthless with the hackberry and the elm
trees so I have sun over 1/2 the back yard. The herb garden gets full
sun too but so does that side of the house. I actually put external
blinds over the windows.

As for tree branches hitting my head? A bored border collie takes care
of that! She loves to jump up and tear branches down. I had to wire off
the cedar tree as she tore bark strips, and the crepe myrtle had to be
wired off too.

She can "prune" the hackberry all she wants. The tree is huge and she
can't hurt it.

I have a simple lopper/pruning saw combo and an electric chainsaw where
needed. I like the electric saw because it's light in weight.

Now, the peaches will soon be plumping and golding up. I cannot wait
to sloosh into my first scrumptious, totally organic, full of sugar
peaches.

Victoria

Sounds wonderful. :-)
--