Old 30-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Jeff Kessler

Default leaves ... and more leaves

I have a 50' by 120' by 7' deep pond located about 1 hour north of New York
City. This pond is now 1 year old.

The pond is located under deciduous trees, and picked up a whole lot of
leaves last year. Now that the ice is cleared, I want to clean out the
leaves.

1) What is the best way to do this on a pond of this size?

2) I have heard some people on this group discuss nets to keep the leaves
out. Do they make them in the size I need? Where is a good place to buy
these nets?

P.S. I have also seen some people talk about pond liners floating up due to
high water tables or excessive rain / snow melt. I had this problem myself.
The solution was to get a few garden hoses under the liner, and siphon the
water out. This worked for me because one side of my pond is a dam, and the
ground on the other side is lower than the bottom of the pond. Gravity took
care of pumping all the water out from under the liner, which was good as I
have no electricity near the pond!! Once I got siphon started, I let it run
for a few weeks, and the liner went right back down without any pumps or
plumbing.