Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default For bill - aluminum

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Whoa. It's impossible to de-sensitise his entire environment; and
doing so would not help him build up any tolerance for when he's in
other environments. MOST children do build tolerances then completely
outgrow eczema. Ours did.

A few tips; I suggest, you start instead with his bedroom; he probably
spends a third of his life in it. We used, smooth washable floor, window
blind not curtain, good mattress cover, pure cotton sheets and PJ's,
(no polyester mixes) low allergen covers and pillow, frozen and
laundered regularly to reduce dustmites. Damp-wipe all hard surfaces
daily (plain water, takes moments once you get fast) Wash his bedding
and clothes separate from the rest of the family, using a low-allergen
unscented powder We used a brand called Filetti. The rest of the house
had normal curtains, carpets etc. As a toddler one son liked a washable
cotton playmat so he never had to sit on wool carpet while playing or
watching TV. Our kids wore only cotton, never wool or synthetics.

Wash him in plain water only, no soap, lotions, potions, powders.. I can
assure you water is enough to get the filthiest mud-covered boy
perfectly clean:-) if/where his skin is dry use a very simple safe
plain emollient like E45 , ask a pharmacist for it.. Try never to get on
the steroid-cream roundabout.

We also got really good results from a course of homeopathic medecine
from our family doctor, but we only ever use homeopathy prescribed by
someone who is both, a fully qualified and practising doctor of medicine
and fully qualified in homeopathy.

HTH

Janet.

Janet

Thanks for the input and info. Unfortunately, I, myself, am one of the few
who did not out-grow eczema. I have battled it on and off for a majority of
my life. Alot of the suggestions you offered I already put to use. We are
talking severe eczema. my son's peds doc claims he's never seen a case like
this. Novartis (the company that produced Elidel) is using my son's medical
records as research for them, although I don't let them use him for it. We
have tried several topical creams, steriod & non-steriod based. Right now,
I am willing to try anything, cause I hate to see him suffer so. I know how
he feels, I have been there.

Don't let my hubby hear you say too much about the carpet
ordeal.................I really want to get the carpet out of the bathroom!
LOL I'm sure you can understand that one...........

He still has the mattress from his crib - when i bought his crib I made sure
it was one of those convertible types so we could save money in the long run
there. the mattress a hypo-allergenic one with the vinyl covering.

I wash his, mine, and my daughters clothes all in baby detergent. I
figured that was as safe as it gets. Never seen or heard of Filetti. Will
try to find some though and give it a try. Also gonna try getting the E45.
Don't remember hearing about that. They have gave me scripts for compound
creams that most of the pharmacist had never heard of. One pharmacist had
but he said he hadn't seen scripts for those kind of creams in 40 years or
better. (he's 82, owns the store, suppposedly retired!)

i know i can't take away everything. but sometimes i think that anything
has to be better if it can help try to "cure" it. you know how it is when
it comes to your kids............

thanks again for the info and let me know if you have anymore
ideas/knowledge as to what will help!

Rae