Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Runner beans for dinner 8 days a week!

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Are the beans worth drying and saving for use in stews or chillies over
| Winter or are runner bean beans the wrong variety for this - most of
them
| are the variety 'streamline'?

They aren't the usual ones used, but are fine. Soak them and throw
away the water, to defart them, and remember to cook them for at least
15 minutes at a boil. But otherwise they are just larger versions of
the dried beans we are used to.

Would it be best to let the pods ripen fully i.e. until they split or to
harvest the beans while semi-mature and still soft? I'm just wondering if
they would be more palatable if picked a bit younger, though drying them at
this stage may be a problem?

David.