Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

BoyPete wrote:

Me? I'm forecasting a very hot summer. Will a veggie filter be enough?
You're talking small puddle and a 'few' fish........I have an uneasy feeling
about this Gill. Got some diagrams/dimensions/gallonage?

OK....I retract my first answer to this.....having just cleared the area
in question I think that the pond is going to be a bit bigger than I
first imagined......It will be around 8 foot in length with the width
varying from approx 7 foot down to 2'6" at the narrowest
part......haven't worked out how much this equates to in gallons as I
don't know until I start digging how deep I can go - certainly at least
2 foot at the deepest (probably more) but maybe only 1 foot max at the
shallowest - there is a soakaway pipe which I think I might avoid but
can't be sure until I shift some soil.

It's going to be a pretty odd shape as there are some big granite slabs
and bamboo clumps that need to be worked around, they are not about to
move, so I need to maybe look into how to do good joins on the pond
liner as I'm not convinced that I can do it all in one.

The digging will start tomorrow. As it all has to be done by hand (can't
get a digger down the side of the house) this may take a while.
Fortunately, with all the rain we have had recently the soil is still
quite damp and workable. It is a heavy clay soil so goes rock solid
after a few weeks of sun.

Gill