Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Plz identify this plant/weed (I think it's tomatillo)

Last year I had some tomatillos planted in the center of a tomato/pepper
patch, and I planted them so close together I could not get to the
tomatillos. I didn't harvest any from them, and I'm guessing several dozen
or more fruits dropped and rotted on the ground. This year, I have in that
one area only, hundreds of little plants growing. I thought at first they
were weeds, but they only grow in this one area, and now that they are
getting bigger, they look very suspicisously like baby tomatillos. Here is a
pic:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8976.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8978.jpg

This is a real tomatillo that I planted:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8957.jpg

I don't recognize a weed that looks like that - I've started to think that
they are indeed tomatillos from last year. And there are literally hundreds
and hundreds of them!