Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Broccoli

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz expounded:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:21:18 -0900, Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big
but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to
see the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a
month a go.

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet? You could
try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see if they'll do
something...

Jan

I've been using Miracle Grow, I've also spread 10-10-10 around the
garden. The plants are growing like topsy so I don't think the plants are
starved for nutrients, they just aren't producing any broccoli. My
question is if this is normal for this time of year and the broccoli will
come later or if there is something wrong?

Well, the part of the broccoli plant we eat are the flowers, so go
light on the nitrogen. You'll get gorgeous leaves but maybe no
broccoli if you keep up the Miracle Grow!

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill