Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc[_2_] View Post
I'm wondering if because of the low relative humidity in my conditions, the velamen on certain plants becomes less permeable, protecting against water loss? With the consequence of making it
harder to absorb water?
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa - growing plants on a windowsill.
I am struggling to recall which study showed that velamen is totally impermeable and that only the green root tips can absorb water. From that, you can take it that relative humidity doesn't have a part to play here. The trick here is to get your aerial roots to attach to something. It is at this junction that water is taken up.

But if the velamen is impermeable, why then do roots go green when I water them?

Weng