Old 07-06-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Jones Alan Jones is offline

Default Having trouble id'ing this blighter - weed perhaps ?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Uncle-C" wrote ...
A couple of these have suddenly sprung up in my flower bed.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4843/weeddc9.jpg

I have been planting annual seeds in previous years so I am unsure if
they could be flowers or weeds. I personally would say weed but
cannot find anything similar on the net.

Thanks for any help !

Looks like an Opium Poppy to me, as long as it won't cause a problem
let it be and enjoy the beauty. Usually pink single but there are
some beautiful red doubles around here. If it's a good one just
collect the seed and scatter it where you would prefer them to grow
next year (and thereafter).

I have two kinds growing wild: one is single - pale mauve petals with a
large dark blotch at the inner end of each - and the other also mauve but
very double - like a large woollen bobble for a child's hat. They blend well
with the roses, and are just as attractive as a deliberately cultivated
plant. Of course, the seed does spread enthusiastically, and many of the
seedlings have to be pulled up to give other things a chance. These and
various other "gifts from the birds" are a delight.

Alan Jones