Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Kiwi fruit id

In article ,
"Justin Thyme" writes:
| As an impulse buy in Tesco a few years ago I bought a solitary kiwi plant.
| It has thived in my greenhouse but this year I was hoping for some fruit.
| Why I didn't realise at the time I don't know but kiwi plants are dioecious
| and I don't know whether mine is male or female and guess I won't until it
| flowers. That is unless anyone who has experience of growing them could
| help me identify the variety. Tesco tell me that they sold them in pairs at
| the time. I wonder if anyone in the group bought a pair and can help with
| the id?

Unless you know its name or it flowers, you won't be able to tell.
I don't even know the mechanisms by which sex is determined in dioecious
plants, so a DNA mapping might not help! Stewart, David, or anyone else,
do YOU have a clue?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.