Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default When garden styles collide

On 6 Jun, 11:20, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
One thing you can do, then: invite them over for a cup then take them
for a walk in your garden. Explain why things are like this, and why you
like it this way. They'll certainly understand, or at the very least
respect you for it and leave you alone. In return they could do the same
with their garden.
You're going to be next to them for a long time, better start good
relationships right now before it gets too late, too many lives were
made unnecessarily complicated with neighbourhood disputes.

Sweet and so true, but so hard to do! You're right off course. This
issue has stemed from naivety on the part of the neighbours, not
really understanding Robert's ideas for his garden. As I had said,
once this happened to me and when I clearly explained the differences
between people's aspirations for their gardens, tolerance set in and
all is well. Both sides learn from each others.