Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Kiwi fruit id

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
As an impulse buy in Tesco a few years ago I bought a solitary kiwi plant.
It has thived in my greenhouse but this year I was hoping for some fruit.
Why I didn't realise at the time I don't know but kiwi plants are
dioecious and I don't know whether mine is male or female and guess I
won't until it flowers. That is unless anyone who has experience of
growing them could help me identify the variety. Tesco tell me that they
sold them in pairs at the time. I wonder if anyone in the group bought a
pair and can help with the id?

There is a self fertile variety but it sounds like you do not have that one.
Once you know which sex you have plant something of the opposite sex right
next to it and let the vines get intimate. Meanwhile just enjoy those exotic
leaves and stems:-)