Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Having trouble id'ing this blighter - weed perhaps ?

On 6/6/07 18:38, in article
, "Uncle-C"
wrote:

A couple of these have suddenly sprung up in my flower bed.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4843/weeddc9.jpg

I have been planting annual seeds in previous years so I am unsure if
they could be flowers or weeds. I personally would say weed but cannot
find anything similar on the net.

Thanks for any help !

It looks like a poppy, Papaver somniferum, the opium poppy. It doesn't
produce opium in this country AFAIK, because it doesn't get hot enough here
to ripen it. It's probably self-seeded from another plant or one next door
- something like that. It might have pink or mauve flowers and if you don't
want masses more next year, don't let it set seed. I rather like them, so
we always leave some lying around.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk