Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default new homeowner with lots of clover flowers

"beecrofter" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 9:50 pm, Joe wrote:
I've been reading that clover is beneficial to a lawn and I should be
happy to have it but it's taking over many of the grass areas of my
lawn. My question - will the flowers eventually go away leaving just
the green clover? The flowers are very low to the ground so they
escape the lawnmower blades. I don't mind the clover at all just don't
want the white flowers all over the yard.

Look the only reason clover is percieved as a lawn weed is that the
chemicals used to control turfgrass weeds also killed the clover and
the herbicide manufacturers covered their butts by changing clover's
image.
Clover used to be in seed mixes for lawns (although the seed tended to
settle into the bottom of the sack)
it adds nitrogen, feeds bees and butterflies.
Turfgrass in America in general is a crop for fools, a bit of clover
mitigates some of the idiocy.

Years ago, I read somewhere (in an actual book or magazine) that the
tradition of planting lawns was derived from the British, who brought the
illness with them from their homeland. The author suggested that people
think about whether their climate (in Kansas, in mid-summer, for instance)
was anything like that of England, and having done so, try and make better
decisions.