Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 7, 4:26 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

ups.com...

We have an 18 hp.twinfuelpump on the side of the carb . It was
working fine and then quit . It appeared that it was lack of gas as it
would start and run as long as you pored the gas in the carb . I
rebuilt thefuelpump and it still wasn't gettingfuel. I took the
top off the carb and it was bone dry . I replaced the needle valve and
it still didn't getfuel. This time when the carb was apart I pored
some gas in the bowl and pored gas to thefuel pump line doing it
several times and turning it over to prime the pump . When I put the
carb back together it started right up and ran good . I took it out to
try mowing with it an again after about 10 minutes it acted like it
was starving for gas . Then it stalled again . Sameproblem. Thefuel
pump seems to be powered by a vacum hose coming up from the
crankcase . Is there anything in the crankcase (filter)or something
that would plug up ? I can feel som air coming out of the hose when I
turn it over . I can suckfuelout of the gas line at thefuelpump
connection from the tank...Any ideas...Rick

I don't screw around - I go to NAPA and get a low pressure electricfuel
pump and install that. I haven't had to remove the old diaghram pumps
yet -
but when the tanks are low and in the rear I mount the electric pump back
there. The one I installed a couple weeks ago I ran from the light switch
that was no longer used so I can shut it on and off. Others I have right
from the ignition switch.

Thanks for responding , I'm curious , how many LB. pressure pump do
you use . I kind of would like to figure out the problem . It has
worked flawlessly this way for 25 years . Rick

I just put one on a 18 HP Briggs twin on a 1984 Agway (Murray). I have one
on a 1960's 70's Sears Suburban 16 HP single (Tecumseh). And I put one on a
1980's Sears twin that I sold. As I said above, my nephew also uses them.