Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Placement of greenhouse?

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...
Those big winds last week (Vic.) blew my neighbour's (empty) greenhouse
over the fence

that has happened to me :-) it's really the only thing wrong with plastic
greenhouses (sigh).

even though it's big and heavy. He said I could keep it
if I want. I want!

I'm wondering about best places to put it. We have lots of room so have
various options. It has that very heavy clear plastic type covering. What
should I consider sun direction-wise and do you have any other advice
about where's best for them?

the idea of placing it east-west for winter is good (and in summer you can
make sure you monitor the vents carefully and if there's no afternoon shade,
you can put a cane blind, some hessian, or something like that over it for
shade because they get VERY hot inside in summer & that can be disastrous).

having said that, though, ime the best place is one where the damn thing
won't blow away g. you also need some access to water and to be able to
include the greenhouse in your daily routine for watering, opening & closing
so tbh i think the best place is going to be somewhere fairly close by, &
well-protected from winds. i have a big big yard too but found it rather
difficult to find a really good spot! in the end i went with windproofing it
as my priority (because when it blew down in spring & all my millions of
seedlings tipped everywhere it was just a tragedy). so mine's against an
east wall & doesn't get sun after about 2pm now, but it's fine (and it's
cold here!!). i close it up early if it's been hot enough to have needed
opening.

we used 4 star pickets inside the frame for stability, & then i attached
ropes over the top & fixed them close by into the ground with tent pegs, &
another rope attached around. the plastic walls can really flap so it's
worth getting them stable if you are in a windy area. you could also
excavate a little bit in order to set it deeper into the ground, if you
want.

good luck!! i have found mine to be _excellent_, once you realise the
limitations & act accordingly.
kylie